05 April 2022

Overwhelmed

 well the title says it all I guess.


We left Italy on a Friday morning, and as typical, I got my period (since the period know when you have a 11+ hours flight), and it was a bad one, with an horrible backache and all joints (and the damn knee) aching for days.

Miami beach was full of springbreakers, something I would have loved 20 years ago, but I would much rather have enjoyed quiet. Actually the crowds were so bad and unruly the police enforced a curfew, resulting in police sirens and megaphones all night long.

The beach and the parks were really beautiful and the weather amazing. It would have been perfect, had I not been in almost too much pain to walk. Meanwhile, phone conversations with the family were full of cute comments such as "Are you really going to the beach? you are too fat to wear a bikini" and other lovely comments of the kind.

Orlando was nice, although, predictably, I got sick - I take it as a miracle that I did not get covid (2k people in closed spaces with no masks - insane), but the constant swing between hot wet weather outside and AC indoors is a killer for me. The even was beautiful, we had a private night opening of Universal Studios and a lovely evening at a golf place, with a DJ set, fireworks, amazing food and booze etc.



Meanwhile every single pic sent to the family whatsapp chat (such as the one above, in the new dress) resulted in more sneaky comments.


We got back. got tested (negative), and the first thing my father told me on the phone was I need to go on a diet. Cool huh?

On Monday I went to Tuscany for a Partners meeting. The place was lovely (see pics). I did make a mistake in sending a text to the family chat along the lines of "having a vertical tasting of Brunello di Montalcino right now, so not coming home LOL". The reply frtom my father was "You're not coming home because you won't fit through the door".

Frankly, I'm done. I've had enough. For the first 20 years of my life everyone had to stress out that I was not eating enough and that I was such a nuisance for not eating. Then 20 years of telling me I'm too fat. 

I'm fed up - hello, I do see mirrors, and I do own a scale. Just fuck off. No more phone calls from me.





7 comments:

Bathwater said...

You don't need the stress of listening to those comments. I'd just stop using social media. I didn't post one picture of my vacation on social media. I almost have no pictures of myself.

Lucy's Shadow said...

Well actually I sent my family the dj set pic (because my brother is a huge fan on this kind of vans) - I rarely post pics of myself on social medias... but most of the comments from the family are made over phone calls and do not really come from pictures
In any case, I'm going to have a chat with them and explain that our phone calls are coming to an end unless their attitude changes

Anonymous said...

Well I love love love your style! Cool dress and bag. In a way, you and i don't look that different.
I went on a trip too, but only to sydney though. Had to see my sister after some crazy courtcase she was in. We did see the sights though and had an awesome time. I went to a sydney beautician and had a bunch of crazy treatments. Some of my photos really showed a lot of sun damage on my face though but it can't be avoided here really if you want to have an outdoors life . Plus i used to sunbake a lot and i was pretty stupid about it. However, no one says anything about my appearance. It's just not a thing we do.... my mum is probably delighted i don't compulsively cry and diet anymore.

I live in a town where probably half the residents are obese. I work in disability services nowadays. My perspective on life has changed a lot. Some people really have a shit life you know? I used to live and work on the Gold Coast, that is a much more image conscious lifestyle. Like every second chick in my uni had a boob job. Xxx

Anonymous said...

PS these are like two of my DREAM holiday destinations ������ you lucky thing. Need a pool like that. And i have seriously considered buying a kombi and restoring it. If only i was smart enough to run a business from it.

Shelby

Lucy's Shadow said...

Tuscany is awesome - although way too cold at this time of the year to use the pool!
Orlando... well.. Orlando is really an entertainment park from what I've seen... can't say I'd go back for vacation!

Aye Ell said...

Yeah, I'd be done talking to people who talked to me like that. Even if it is family.
And that dress is awesome! You rocked it!

Bella said...

Yikes, sounds like there's some toxic haters in the family! Honestly, I think people who feel compelled to say things like that are just insecure and projecting their own issues. You look absolutely stunning, both in the old photo you posted and now. You're rocking that dress!


xxBella