27 March 2020

just want to go out

The older you get, the more you value walking. At almost 38, I already considered that the best part of my weekdays was when I managed to walk home from work instead of taking the tube. I live 3.5km from work (a bit over 2 miles) and whenever it wasn't too late and it wasn't pouring rain, I used to walk home, sometimes making calls to clients or my mother, sometimes just listening to audible and watching shops windows.

I seems like I'm talking about a long time ago, but we've been working from home since February 22, and in a total lockdown since March 7. Yesterday I decided to go for a walk in the woods (my parents' place is really next to wild woods by the lake) and in order to do that I had to wait over one hour: as soon as I saw a police car patrolling, I waited for it to be gone and crossed the road to get to the footpath in the woods.
That because if they stop me outside home, I can get arrested.
I so miss walking.

My father in law died on Wednesday morning. He had 4 sons and a daughter, all loving him and living close to him, and he had to die alone because we are not allowed to leave home (let alone visit sick relatives in the hospital). He was buried this morning with no funeral (not allowed) and no family (again, not allowed). On of my brother in laws is a priest, so he's celebrating a private mass via skype for the family tonight.

This gives you an idea of the situation I guess.


4 comments:

Bathwater said...

Wow that is very sad. It is happening here but not to the extreme. People are still going outside for exercise and in many places people are not taking it as serious as they should.

I am safe. I have plenty of food but we are supposed to be quarantining ourselves for at least another 17 days and they seem so long. I miss people.

Lucy's Shadow said...

They just announced that we are going to be home for at least 3 more weeks and probably 5. I have no clue on how on earth we are going to manage

Bathwater said...

I think we will be asked to stay home another month here in Detroit Michigan. I am worried that it will be harder to get food. I have a months worth of food but will run out of sweets this week :). I do not want to eat everything before I venture back to a store. Ordering groceries here is very backed up. I am not sure what I will end up doing.

I posted a picture of my cat for you. I also added a brief cast of characters. If you want to read about my early years you should check out my pages on Wattpad https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/213417032-lost-and-found-in-glitter

Bella said...

It’s crazy how much everything has changed so suddenly. It feels like normality was eons ago.

I’m so sorry to hear about your father in law. Losing a loved one is heart wrenching and the best of times, but hearing about people dying alone because of lockdowns and quarantine is tragic beyond words.

Take care of yourself <3

xxxx