26 April 2019

Safe in my own skin?

After Dubai, it was one week in Montecarlo.
Same client, who operates restaurants and night venues. Never seen so many Ferraris and Lambos in my life.
It was like the world was spinning and it was mostly populated by supercars, diaphane hookers, musicians and singers dressed like the 70s were now, dwarves (yes, dwarves), shishas, 30 liters bottles of Dom Perignon. And in the morning at their offices trying to figure the business, while my head experienced troubles addying 2 and 2.

Carrying around 10/15kg more than all the other girls tends to be depressing. I don't care that most of the girls were hookers, that is not the point. And in the end, how different are we?
I don't have sex with clients, but truly I still have to make them feel successful, smart, powerful and brave. I sell them my skills and knowledge in principle, but practically I sell my time. My time away from home, away from what I care.

The saddest part is that I am totally aware that I'll have to work all my life, and I'm also aware this work/life balance is unsustainable even in the short term. I can no longer manage it, blame it on the age, on the responsibilities it doesn't matter. I just can no longer manage it.

And I tried, I tried quitting, I tried working in a corporate and where did it lead me? If fucked up my mind in first place, and the other consequences, the real ones are/were unspeakeable. Vivien is dead and there is no going back, and I'd rather not even considering that kind of adventure again.

1 comment:

Aye Ell said...

Hey! Knowing you're heavier than all the other women around you always sucks, regardless of their life. I get that.

Things for me are crazy. I work in my office most days but have a job on the side at a local brewery (which is dumb of me since the hardest calories for me to control are alcohol). I just applied for a job teaching at the graduate school I went to. I've applied there twice before and they didn't hire me (the first time due to nepotism, for sure) but most people have to apply there multiple times before they are hired. My friend who currently works there and recommended me for the position applied six times before they hired him, and he had a father who worked there! So I'll keep trying. Working for myself is more fun, but this college has excellent health and retirement benefits so I really want to get hired on there. But it's really competitive.

I hope I have at least another week if they want to interview me though, because my best professional clothes are way to snug for me to feel even remotely confident in. I've been dressing a little more casual at my office since those are the clothes that fit me now. Another week of restricting and I think they'd fit much better. But who knows, maybe they won't want me this time either.